“If I were a Millionaire….”


As a student, I remember being asked to write an essay on “What would you do if you were a millionaire?” Come to think about it, it was a piece of cake and I bet I aced the writing. However, it is not the pomposity that you may interpret from the preceding line that I am trying to pride myself on. Rather it is about maturity shortly to be put into picture.
Fine starry night, while reveling in the victory of soccer match with my acquaintances, we happened to be so absorbed into the discourse on popular football players and their weekly remuneration on which they dance their lives. As civil servants, the sum of our lifelong reward is not even going to be equivalent to their weekly commission. They are the ones so blessed. With millions of bucks, we nattered, where would they be disbursing bountiful figure on? Excessively intoxicated we all were, but soccer fanatics we sure are which kept our minds awake in the midst of oblivion. Eyelashes almost about to kiss, barely steady, all were enthusiastically gossiping about the affairs of people we hardly know. That very moment kicked the memory out of me about the time I wrote an essay on if I were a millionaire.
My essay begun with the topic sentence, “If I were a millionaire…, I would buy fine attires and shoes, a house, a car (even airplane), huge television, computers, video games, so and so.” Reflecting on it, I wrote it in haste without even giving in a minute thought. Reckless and always quick on a move I must have been as a knee high to the grasshopper. In that short line that I could recollect, it is all about “I” and there are no other characters I named in my essay. It was all me, from A to Z, and it is like I only knew to assemble the words defining ‘self’ from 26 alphabets like ‘I’, ‘ME’, and ‘MY’. That portrays “SELFISHNESS” in a child which is normal in the stage of growth where the child doesn’t even know how to relate to others. Self-centered and inconsiderate I surely was. Forget about others, I didn’t even mention the people close to my heart. However, I feel no shame for that was ignorance out of juvenile mentality (LOL).
At the chirping of early birds and noisy neighbors, my eyes wide-opened with my head still laid on the pillow, I could recollect the frenzied night and had knock on my mind by the rhetorical question from one of us, “What would we do with such richness?” The night before, we were like group of young bloods babyishly blathering like I brusquely scribbled the words in my essay. But that morning, it was solemn contemplation I was lost into, “What I really like to do if I were a millionaire?”
I did think of the stuffs I mentioned as a child but more thoughtful this time and selective of the materials I wish to own. Considerate I was, beyond self, I did feel the real human in me when I noticed those altruistic words crossing my mind. From bloodline to faraway entities (impoverished ones), I could feel a strong whim at the peak of my heart for the greater happiness of all. Not just a desire, but as if I can be one, I found myself pondering a means to idealistic attainment for common man like me (But I believe, anyone can be with zealous desire and brilliant plans acted upon).
Change sure it is, cognitively with stature, elevating a step higher in life (the stage called as adulthood) but greater obligations inundated upon my shoulder. Almighty God, I leave the rest upon you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I'm Gone...

The Almighty King

Hope On